Monday, July 21, 2008

Hopping around

So this weekend was all about catching people, and being anywhere but the Meadow. Friday was a great day spent at the beach with some Purchase peeps: Jared and Jess, and we met up with Roy briefly to roast in the sun and get tossed around by the waves. I think I've hit the highpoint of my tanning, and am incapable of getting any darker.

Saturday was dedicated to Sirenfest in Coney Island. Mike, Alex and myself headed down there to catch some good bands and a lot of randomness. Ran into some old co-workers from the Aber days, and some more Purchase peeps (Maria & Evan to be exact). Through the span of the day I was hit on by about 4 different guys.... all not my type. One to go as far as to mouth really awkward statements towards me on line for the port-a-potty. But the best had to have been the DL thug walking with his homies, giving me lips, lifting his shirt to reveal a nice six-pack and then clearly checking out my ass (something which I hadn't been aware of until Mike brought it to my attention). There were some sick break-dancers by the aquarium, and a merengue band by the pier, both which seemed to grab our attentions more than any Indie band ever could. Broken Social Scene was the act that the three of us looked forward to all day, and they delivered. Then it was off to Westchester county to hang out with Brenton for the first time in a LONG time. I was excited as ever to have some drinks with him and Lauren. Il me fait heureux, et la nuite fui amusent et tout que j'ai espéré. It was a little sad to leave the next morning. But we each had our own things to tend to.

Mine was to hit up Summerstage for the second time. I met up with Kat and soon after with Jimmy and the three of us did what any broke New Yorker does in excessive heat... go to Starbucks haha. We got our drinks and headed towards the venue. This time Santogold was the main attraction. She was amazing. However, the excessive humidity and the large amount of people in the venue made it a very undesirable place to be on Sunday. Diplo and A-Trak alternated mixing it up for the crowd and for the life of me i cannot remember much of Kid Cudi or Blaqstarr and Mz Streamz... mostly because it was a lot of on-stage dancing and chanting. It probably doesn't help that we were looking for the Purchase people that I barely saw at Sirenfest, and that the heat and our broke-asses resorted to getting water and tea at a nearby starbucks, giving up our spots within the venue. So upon return from Starbucks (a hydrating salvation), we were unable to get back in and sat nearby where the show was still visible and completely audible. She was great. She played what I wanted to hear, and as we were people watching during her performance, Kat, Jimmy and I couldn't help but to wonder about how so many horrid people were walking around the park and how deeply it contrasts with the fashionable and beautiful people that walked/ran/rode along the same path. I came to the conclusion that I'm in love with trendy black women, Santogold being one of them, lol. (picture bummed off Maria)

No comments: