Monday, February 8, 2010

:(

so... I'm finishing up with Gabriel Garcia Marquez's "100 days of solitude." I won't find out what the remaining 30 pages are until I:

a: get a hold of the MTA and find out if they found the copy that I accidentally left behind on a 330am manhattan-bound 4 train

or

b: buy a new copy.

I really hope the MTA finds my copy. I had an amazing bookmark too. The book now holds great sentimental value or me. Not to mention it was in a black plastic bag along with a bunch of other books (including Eli Wiesel's 'Night' and Tennessee Williams' 'Glass Menagerie'). Sigh...

2 comments:

k_ziz said...

ughhhh that sounds horrible. GGM is an amazing author, I totally feel your pain. Are your reading it en ingles o en espanol? i feel that sometimes the translations don't carry over too well, but the spanish version gets a little hard to read.

RooRooPants said...

Well I was reading it in English this time. My first time reading 100 years of solitude was in Spanish.

I know exactly how you feel about translation. I've dedicated the last 2 years of my life to translating poetry for a thesis and have struggled with the reality that it is very complicated to capture exactly what the author was writing. The best a translator can do is try to bring the key points of the literature and try to captivate the reader of the translation as the original author did in the original piece of literature.

As for GGM you need to repeatedly turn to the Family tree to understand who's doing what. A whole lineage circulating around the same 5 names. It's ridiculous.